Tuesday, January 31, 2012

ROMA...Part 2

Here's part two of my trip to Rome.  When we left off I had just left Marco and the Pantheon and was eating pizza and planning our next move with the group of 7 other girls that I was sharing a hostel with.  We made a tentative route that would take us to some of the main attractions of the city. 

We started at Piazza Navona where artists and art vendors were selling paintings and prints and some were doing portraits.  The piazza is a rectangular space with three fountains and buildings on all four sides.  It was fairly crowded with people eating gelato, sitting around the fountains, and watching the artists.  There were some statue people 'performing' but it was more entertaining to watch the public react to them.  From there we headed through the main shopping district to Piazza del Popolo.  By that time me and Elise and Jen had split away from the other part of the group because our natural walking pace is a lot faster.  When we got to Piazza Popoplo we took a few photos and decided to move on.  It's a great space to people watch, but the men selling roses and the vastness of the space made us a tad uncomfortable.  When the other girls arived, we told them we were going to take off and stay at our quicker pace and would meet them at the hostel before dinner.

The three of us headed to the Spanish steps where I was looking forward to some great people watching. We made it to the steps, found a comfortable place about half way up the stairs to sit and then just watched.  We saw a couple getting wedding photos taken, kids playing in the fountain, ladies carrying their fluff ball dogs up the stairs, etc.  Once our tired feet were rested we headed to the top of the hill to Villa Medici.

The Villa seemed to be closed so we walked through the park adjacent to the villa.  It was a bizarre park with dozens of busts of famous Italians (artists, architects, philosophers etc.), go cart bikes, bike buggies, there was a moon bounce.  However, it was nice to get out of the town.  After walking through the park we went to the edge of the hill/wall where we could see for miles over the city.  The sun was setting infront of us which made for some beautiful photos with the silhouette of St. Peter's Basilica on the horizon.  After a quick photoshoot we headed back down the hill. 

Our next stop was the Piazza della Repubblica.  It's basically a giant roundabout with two large arced buildings facing one half and St. Maria degu Angeli e dei Martiri on the other.  The best decision of the day was going into the basilica.  It was amazing.  It was getting dark out and there were very few lights on in the huge church which made it surprisingly intimate.  We wandered quietly into the alcoves (I was especially excited about the one with the huge pipe orgain) and sat in the pews for a little while.  As we were leaving, we heard the organ being played.  I of course had to go back and watch.  Sure enough a little old man was playing the organ, pushing in levers, pushing keys, turning nobs, and pushing pedals with his feet.  I have no idea how someone learns all of that! 

By this time we needed to head to the hostel.  It was called M&J Hostel which was conveniently near the Termini station.  We got there just before the others, checked in, and headed to the room.  It was just like camp: four bunk beds, funny green walls, and a window that took some effort to close.  We headed to dinner after giving our feet a short rest and then went back home to bed at about 10:30.  We had planned on seeing some night life but were too exhausted to go anywhere else.  Kinda lame, but definitly a good decision.  Here are some photos of the second part of Saturday. 




Piazza Navona

A lovely lady at Piazza del Popolo

Look at that view!  Oh and me, aren't I cute.

I wish I had a better photo of this but it was too dark inside to get a good photo. I will probably go back there next time I'm in Rome though!

Another door.  It was about as tall as me.

The Spanish Steps.  Photos in text books make them look a lot prettier, but I think the best purpose for them now is for people watching. 


SOO I'm tired again so I'll post about the my Sunday in Rome tomorrow haha.  Also, I will not be offended if you just look at the photos.  I know I get a little long winded about the details, but I am doing this as much for me as for y'all.  I want to be able to remember every part of this amazing adventure!

Cliff Hanger:  ROMA...part 3/3 coming tomorrow; Rain, cold, and snow still in the forecast; Assisi on Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised you see any of the sites...seems as though there is a lot of people watching going on. Italians must be pretty interesting...or just pretty?

    ReplyDelete